February 8, 2010
MAYNOR, ANDERSSON EARN CAA ‘SILVER STAR’ STATUS
RICHMOND, Va. – More than 50,000 student-athletes have competed in the Colonial Athletic Association over the past 25 years. There have been thousands of all-conference performers, hundreds of All-Americans and numerous athletes who have gone on to compete and excel at the professional level and in the Olympic Games.
As a culmination to the CAA’s 25th Anniversary celebration, a committee of administrators from each of the CAA’s 12 member institutions was given the daunting task of selecting 25 CAA “Silver Stars” – the 25 student-athletes who have had the greatest impact on the conference over the past 25 years.
“The process of selecting the Silver Stars was an ominous task for our committee with the incredible accomplishments of not only those selected, but also the final nominees who were not selected,” CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager said. “The synopsis speaks for itself. Millions of fans have witnessed some of the nation’s greatest athletic accomplishments by this outstanding group of individuals who have set the bar for those that follow.”
Two former Virginia Commonwealth University stars were named to that list with Eric Maynor (Raeford, N.C.) and Daniel Andersson (Stockholm, Sweden), both legends among the VCU faithful.
Daniel Andersson – VCU – 1996-2000 – Stockholm, Sweden – Men’s Tennis
- Two-time ITA All-American (1998, 2000) who was ranked #1 nationally in singles in 2000
- Holds VCU record for career singles wins with a 144-35 record
- Two-time CAA Player of the Year and three-time CAA Tournament MOP
Eric Maynor – VCU – 2005-09 – Raeford, N.C. – Men’s Basketball
- Two-time CAA Player of the Year and honorable mention All-American (2007-08, 2008-09)
- Three-time first-team All-CAA selection and two-time CAA Tournament MVP
- First-round NBA draft pick who is VCU’s all-time leader in points (1,953) and assists (674)